Finasteride is one of the FDA approved oral medication which is used to treat male pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia). Male pattern baldness is the most common cause for hair loss, and about a quarter of men suffering from this condition starts losing their hair in the teens.
Finasteride originally was used to treat enlarged prostate glands. But now, its much lower dose it also treats inherited hair loss in men.
What is Finasteride and how does it work?
The drug belongs to the class of medication named 5-alpha reductase inhibitors. Finasteride drug is not effective in post-menopausal women. Women and children should avoid using this medicine. It is a drug commonly used for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia i.e. BPH and male pattern baldness (MPB). Finasteride is not shown to treat thinning hair or hair loss at the temples. It does not even treat hair loss in women and children. It treats the benign prostatic hyperplasia by blocking the body’s production of male hormone which causes the prostate to enlarge. For treating male pattern baldness, it again blocks the body’s production of the male hormone in the scalp that stops the growth of hair.
Things to be kept in mind
Before taking finasteride, things that have to be kept in mind are:
- Consult your doctor if you are allergic to finasteride, its active ingredients and any other medication.
- Ask your pharmacist or yourself, check the patient information for the list of ingredients present.
- Tell the doctor about what prescription, nonprescription medicines, supplements, vitamins and other herbal products you plan to take. Doctor will monitor and change the dose accordingly.
- Clear your doctor if ever you had liver or prostate cancer disease.
- Women who are or may get pregnant should avoid touching broken or crushed finasteride drug/tablets. Touching crushed tablet could harm the fetus. Try to wash the area thoroughly with soap and water to prevent any harm.
How much to take it?
Initial recommended dosage starts from 1 mg and can be increased or decreased depending upon the patient’s response. Always take the medicine as per prescription guidelines.
What are the strengths available?
The drug is available in a single strength on our website, i.e. Finpecia 1mg tablet.
Who is the manufacturer?
Finpecia is manufactured by a Cipla, a pharmaceutical giant. It is available on our website in 30, 60 and 90 tablets packs.
How to take it?
Finasteride tablet is swallowed with a glass of water. Consult your doctor before you start taking the drugand follow his guidelines. This drug can also be taken with or without food.
When to take it?
Take a single tablet once in a day. Take the medicine as prescribed by your doctor and avoid consuming it more or less in amount than recommended.
For how long it should be taken?
When you take Finasteride for treating male pattern baldness, then it may take about three months to see any improvement as hair loss and growth happen slowly with time. You could find some improvement during the first twelve months of the treatment course. Wait for twelve monthsor ask your doctor to know whether you should continue with the treatment or not. Do not stop the medication on your own.
What if you forget a dose?
Try to make it your habit that every day you take the medicine at the same time. It will clearly decrease the possibility of missing a dose.In the case if you miss a dose, then don’t mix it with a second dose. Simply skip the first dose and continue with the routine.
What if you overdose?
The moment you think you just had an overdose of the medicine, don’t panic and seek immediate medical attention. Call your health specialist or visit the nearest doctor.
What are the side effects?
There are several medications that cause side effects. The side effects could range from mild to severe. Given below are some symptoms that require immediate medical attention:
- Change in the breast like increased size, lump and pain
- Nipple discharge
- Swelling of the lips or the face
- Weakness in the body
There are several medicines that may affect the way other medicines work. Consulting your doctor is best in this case, as he would tell better which drugs may interfere with the working of Finasteride. Few drugs that need to be avoided are given below:
- Fish oil
Important information to be taken care of
- If you got any information regarding Finasteride, then talk to your doctor, pharmacist and best health care professional.
- The drug should be used by the one whom it is prescribed.
- Do not share Finasteride with others.
- Check with the nearest pharmacist about how to dispose of the unused medicine.
Latest posts by Marie (see all)
- Best Glaucoma Eye Drops List - November 16, 2017
- What is the Use of Acyclovir Cream and what is its Price - November 10, 2017
- Acyclovir Cream for Cold Sores - November 9, 2017