Tretinoin is one of the effective active ingredients to treat various skin conditions including acne and wrinkles. However, if you fail to use it correctly, you may experience some unexpected side effects too. Therefore, it is important to understand the functions, effects and correct use of the topical tretinoin creams as per the direction of your doctor.
Understand what Tretinoin Cream is used for:
It is not that you use a tretinoin cream for every skin condition or skin disorder. It is formulated specifically to treat acne. This ingredient can unclog skin pores and reduce skin peeling. You can also use it to reduce the appearance of sunburn, fine lines, wrinkles, and blackheads. In some cases, the signs of lesions and cysts can also be reduced.
How does Tretinoin work to remove acne?
Tretinoin is related to the group of medications called retinoids and it is a derivative of vitamin A that can promote the growth of skin cells. It also restricts the development of microcomedones that are responsible for the saturation of dead skin cells inside the skin pores. Since the development of microcomedones leads to acne outbreak, tretinoin can aptly reduce its possibility. Moreover, this ingredient is known to prevent the skin’s natural softness and glow.
Potential Side Effects of Tretinoin Cream:
Although tretinoin cream is largely safe to use, there could be some side effects in rare cases. The most probable side effects of this cream include:
- Skin dryness
- A warming or burning sensation on the skin
- Acne breakout in initial days of application
- Itching, peeling, and scaling
- Blisters and redness of the skin
Best steps to use Tretinoin Cream:
To experience the good effects of a tretinoin cream, you have to use it appropriately and complete the course. Topical tretinoin cream like Retino-A, Tri-Luma and Tretin-X help you reverse skin damage and treat fine wrinkles and acne. Since it is a prescription medication, you must consult a doctor to understand its benefits, side effects and application method. There are certain steps that users should consider in order to apply a tretinoin cream in a better way.
If you’re wondering how to use tretinoin cream, here are some guidelines that help ensure that you get all the benefits.
- Make sure that your skin is clean and absolutely dry before using the cream. Ideally, users have to wait for a few minutes after washing the face.
- The best time to use a tretinoin gel or cream is the night, just before the bedtime.
- A pea-sized amount of the cream is enough to cover the entire face. Applying excess amount might affect the skin tissues.
- Use your fingertips or a cotton ball to apply the tretinoin solution on the affected skin. In this way, you will be able to prevent the medicine from spilling onto other areas that are not intended for treatment.
- Avoid its direct contact from mouth, nose, and
- Wash your face with lukewarm water or a mild facial scrub in the morning. This method can help you reduce the development of flakes.
- You can use a moisturizer or sunscreen to prevent the bad effects of UV rays.
- Use this cream once a day for 4-5 weeks to experience a good result.