The metrogyl tablets are used to treat various types of infections, including stomach infection, infections of gum and dental cavities, amebiasis, intestinal infection, infections after surgery, bone infection and other conditions. The metorgyl is an antibiotic and it belongs to nitroimidazole class. This drug is not effective for the treatment of common cold or viral infections. The active ingredient in metrogyl is Metronidazole, which works by inhibiting energy production and killing the bacteria and parasites. The drug enters in the bacteria with passive diffusion and inhibits the nucleic acid synthesis by disrupting the DNA of microbial cells and hence killing the microorganisms.
In today’s world where the lifestyle and diet of the people are very poor, the stomach infection is very common. These metrogyl tablets are very effective in the treatment of stomach infection. It is very effective in the treatment of stomach ulcer and intestinal infections.
There are some possible side effects that may or may not occur while using metrogyl. There are some of the side effects which are rare but serious and consult your doctor if any of the mentioned side effects appeared. The side effects are as given as follows-
- Upset stomach
- Sleepiness or dizziness
- Eyes pain
- Joint or muscle pain
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of the face, tongue, and throat
If any other uncomfortable condition appears, do consult your doctor. There are some drugs which may interact with metrogyl such cimetidine, seizure medication, a blood thinner, lithium, disulfiram etc., so if you are taking this drug, contact your doctor before taking metrogyl.
Before using this drug, consult your doctor and get the proper schedule. Also, tell the doctor about your current medications, supplements, allergies, pre-existing disease, and current health conditions. Sometimes your health conditions can increase the chance of appearing of side effects. Follow the instruction given by your doctor properly. The dosage is defined by the doctor, according to the condition of the patient. The drug is taken with a glass of water or milk. Take this drug after meals and take metrogyl without crushing. This drug should be taken at evenly spaced intervals. Complete the full course of the drug.
- During the course of this medication, all types of alcoholic beverages should be avoided.
- Do not drive after taking this medication as this drug may make you dizzy.
- During pregnancy take this drug under doctor’s strict supervision.
- Keep this medicine away from the kids.
- While breastfeeding, do not take this drug without consulting doctor as the drug can pass into breast milk and may harm the nursing baby.
- Do not skip your doses and do not do overdose.
- Unnecessary use of the drug should be avoided.
- The patient with liver infection should take this drug under the supervision of their doctors.
- Store the drug in a cool place and away from the moisture.