Low libido refers to disinterest in sexual activity. It is very necessary to know the reasons of this condition and get the problem solved for a happy and satisfying relationship.
Sex drive is generally the result of a combination of myriad of factors such as personal, physical and relationship. Interest in sex differs from one person to another and may change as per an individual’s circumstances. Some men may be fine with a decreased libido, but for some, a sudden drop in sexual desire and can be a cause of concern.
Reasons for Decreased Libido
• Stress – Stress can wreck havoc on your body’s hormones and lead to low desire. The arteries can become narrow, and the blood flow may be restricted causing erectile dysfunction.
• Depression – You may not feel sexual desire when you are depressed. Depression alters the biochemistry of an individual that causes a reduction in interest in sex.
• Poor self-esteem – Someone with low confidence and unhealthy body image is not likely to be interested in sex.
• Alcohol – Too much of alcohol can cause fatigue and lead to decreased libido. • Less sleep – When you have not slept well, it can raise your critical levels that in turn can lead to low libido.
• Drugs – Some medicines that are used to treat high blood pressure, depression and a host of other common ailments may also lead to decreased libido.
• Hormonal imbalance – The testosterone levels in the body has an influence on the libido. Other reasons for hormonal imbalance can include pituitary conditions or cirrhosis of the liver.
• Health – Serious health issues can suppress testosterone levels and lead to low libido.
• Compatibility with the spouse – Relationship issues can create distance between a couple, and they are less likely to indulge in sex.
• Hectic schedule – Sometimes couples are so busy that sex goes out of the window. Lack of sex overtime can lead to a low drive.
• Age-Sex drive also gradually decreases with age. While reduced levels of testosterone are a part of aging, a sudden drop can lead to concern. Your doctor can prescribe you supplements to increase your testosterone levels.
• Restless leg syndrome– Men with this condition are at a greater risk of developing erectile dysfunction than those without the same.
• Anti-depressants – Low libido can also be a side effect of taking antidepressants. Your doctor can change your dosage or change your medicines.
• Hypothyroidism – Several studies have shown a connection between thyroid problems and decreased sexual interest.
Treatment for Decreased Libido:
Treatment for low libido depends on because the condition. For some men, adopting a healthier lifestyle, such as exercising regularly, eating a healthy diet, getting enough sleep, reducing stress, and limiting alcohol, can help resolve the problem. Some other treatment methods include treating hypothyroidism, switching medications, treating any underlying condition, testosterone replacement hormone therapy, and relationship counseling.
Lifestyle Changes for Decreased Libido:
Simple changes in lifestyle can bring about a marked improvement in your libido levels.
• Regular exercise – Engaging in exercises every day can lower your stress levels significantly and give a great boost to your self-image and sexual stamina. It can also help manage your hypothyroidism. Several studies have found that men who exercised regularly reported more sexual satisfaction than men who did not.
• Avoid smoking and drinking – Smoking decreases blood flow into the penis and can lead to low sex drive and erectile dysfunction. Excessive alcohol and drug abuse can lead to fatigue and several other mental and physical problems.
• Nurture your relationship – It is impossible to feel love and intimacy if you are not close to your partner. Take steps to connect with your spouse. Talk about your anxieties regarding intimacy and your needs with your partner to make it easier to get physically close.
• Manage your stress – Stress can totally spoil your sexual interest. It distracts you mentally and leads to a host of physical issues too. Yoga and meditation can help greatly to release stress and feel calm and happy.
• Diet – Include plenty of antioxidant-rich vegetables and fruits in your diet. These have been shown to increase sexual stamina.
While it is important to visit a doctor and follow his advice to treat decreased libido, keep in mind that it is not uncommon to have low libido from time to time, and libido levels keep changing all through life. Simple lifestyle changes and medications can bring a positive improvement in the sexual desire of a person and improve his sex life significantly.