Glowing and beautiful skin is something which every girl wishes to have. Girls spend most of their time in caring either for hair or skin and because skin is so sensitive, it requires proper attention and care. The moment you stop looking after it, it may result in development of acne or pimples. Acne is a disease of hair follicles of face, chest and back affecting all teenagers during time of puberty. They appear on the skin as:
Occluded pores known as blackheads or whiteheads, tender red bumps known as zits or pimples, pustules, cysts or boils.
People from any age group can be affected by acne. Not only young generation but people in fifties can also get acne and it mostly occurs in young adults. Let us know which factors contribute to development of acne?
How is acne caused?
There are three factors which lead to acne formation: overproduction of oil, shedding of dead skin cells which results in irritation of hair follicles of skin, bacteria formation.
Acne usually develops when hair follicles gets plugged with oil and dead skin cells. Also hair follicles are connected to sebaceous glands and these glands secrete an oily substance named sebum to lubricate skin and hair. Sebum travels along the hair shafts and then they are out through opening of hair follicles onto skin surface. The body produces an excess amount of sebum and dead skin cells where the two may build up in the hair follicles and forms together as a soft plug thus creating an environment where bacteria can grow. The plug can also cause the follicle wall to bulge and produce a whitehead or in other case the plug may be open to skin surface and gets dark causing blackhead. Pimples develop when blocked hair follicles become inflamed and when blockage and inflammation develops deep inside hair follicles producing lumps beneath skin surface it results in cysts.
Factors making acne worse
- Hormones – Androgens are the hormones which may increase in boys and girls during puberty, causing sebaceous glands to enlarge and produce more sebum. Use of oral contraceptives and hormonal changes related pregnancies are other factors affecting sebum production
- Medicines – Certain drugs containing corticosteroids, androgens and lithium can cause acne too
- Diet – According to study, some dietary factors including dairy products and carbs rich foods like bread and chips which increase blood sugar may also trigger acne
There are several treatments available to treat acne which includes natural ways or home remedies which everyone uses at some point of time to treat their acne. But these days’ beauty medicines are pretty much in demand and preferred by large number of young girls and ladies. A beauty medicine takes care of the skin and helps to prevent acne or pimples. The products include various face masks according to skin type, toners, lotions, sunscreens and make ups. These can be purchased online and from market too, but before that you should always seek medical assistance get your skin checked thoroughly and then buy any skin product.
How to reduce scars?
Scars may get removed if you take proper treatment. Following are some natural ways and home remedies which can be considered to have a pimple free skin.
- Lemon juice – Lemon juice is known for its acne fighting qualities. This could be the cheapest way one can try at home. Try to apply lemon juice gently on the affected area with a cotton pad. Leave it on the acne for a while so that skin absorbs the lemon juice. Then wash it with lukewarm water. Lemon juice is quite effective in reducing oil on the skin, redness and even kills bacteria. It acts as natural bleach in improving the appearance of dark acne scars and gives a naturally glowing skin. Trust me you can try lemon juice which is a good for skin and it acts as an antiseptic too
- Sandalwood – Trying sandalwood along with rosewater paste is another remedy which can be utilised as a facial mask. You can try applying it directly on the scarred area and leave it for more than one hour. After applying wash off the mask using cold water, this could be the most effective method to treat acne blemish
- Olive oil – Olive oil is known as a miracle substance that helps in nourishing of the skin. Regularly using of olive oil not just helps to decrease acne scars but also it help to prevent from future breakouts. Try to massage the oil on the affected skin part every day. It has moisturising properties that softens the skin texture and also reduce the prominence of acne scars. So if you have not used olive oil till now, then you must give a try and apply on your acne for some quick relief
- Water – Water is probably one of the best available natural methods for treating acne scars. One must drink plenty of water which helps to flush out toxins from the body and revitalise it. Not only this but water consumption also assists in shedding dead skin cells and leads to formation of healthy skin. Drinking lukewarm water in the morning also help to flush out toxins
- Egg whites – Egg whites also treat acne scarring. Use egg white on the scars using cotton ball and try to leave it overnight for best results. Eggs contain huge amount of protein and by applying it directly to the skin makes healing much faster. Because proteins are the building blocks of the cellular tissue, and muscles so applying it on the scar speeds up the recovery process
These are some of the natural ways to reduce scars. But our lifestyle also plays a major role not just for overall health but for the skin as well. Keeping a check on the diet is important to live a pimple-free life. To have glowing skin, both women and men should consume foods which are good for the skin. The examples include: honey, seafood, eggs, oat meals and fresh fruits and green vegetables. Following a healthy diet is the best way to reduce scars. Here is list of some foods which are found to be quite good and may help you prevent unwanted scars.
Skin clearing foods
- Watercress – While preparing a salad for your family, you could substitute a few lettuce leaves for some peppery watercress. The green leaves are jammed of antioxidants and minerals like manganese, carotene and potassium. This makes watercress a powerful cleansing agent, nourishes the skin and flush out toxins and excess fluids
- Tomatoes – Tomato is a great food item that’s rich in vitamin C; it helps in keeping skin firm and taut by aiding collagen production. The red pigment- lycopene is contained in tomato gives a bright red colour and also stimulates skin circulation
- Nuts – Those being deficient in zinc and selenium are in the list of acne sufferers. That is why nuts- pumpkin seeds and brazil nuts are a healthy snack to opt for. Selenium is effective in enhancing the number of infection fighting white blood cells in the body whereas vitamin E, copper, magnesium, manganese, potassium, iron and calcium are some other minerals which are essential for skin health and its function