Flagyl is an antiprotozoal medication, which is formulated for the treatment of infection in the stomach and genital areas. It works effectively against diarrhea.
Diarrhea causes, symptoms and its treatment
Diarrhea is described as the passage of abnormally liquid or unformed stools associated with increased bowel movements (three or more a day). It can result in dehydration, which means lack of enough fluids in the body to function properly. Dehydration is a matter of concern particularly in children and elder people. Hence, it must be treated at the right time to avoid serious health issues. Diarrhea can occur in people of all ages, and it has been estimated that an average adult has acute diarrhea about four times a year.
Acute diarrhea is associated with the bacterial, parasitic, and viral infection whereas chronic diarrhea is a cause of functional disorders like inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndrome. Some more common causes of diarrhea include:
- Bacterial infections- So many types of bacteria consumed through contaminated food or water can be the reason of developing diarrhea.
- Reactions to certain medicines- Medications for blood pressure management, antacids containing magnesium, antibiotic drugs, and cancer medications often lead to diarrhea.
- Intestinal disorders- Intestinal problems like colitis, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, and bowel disease can all cause diarrhea.
- Intolerance to food- Some people are not able to digest food items containing artificial sweeteners, and lactose (a type of sugar found in milk) can contribute to diarrhea.
- Functional bowel disorders- Those people who are having diarrhea often experience irritable bowel syndrome.
Diarrhea can also occur after a stomach surgery or removal of the gallbladder. It can be due to increasing in bile in the colon after gallbladder surgery.
Diarrhea may be accompanied by bloating, cramping, nausea, abdominal pain, an urgent need to go to the toilet, or bloating. A person suffering from diarrhea may have a fever or bloody stools, depending on the cause of the problem.
Diarrhea is not usually dangerous, but with time it can harm you and can raise serious health issue. You must talk to a health care specialist if you notice any of the following:
- Severe pain in the stomach or rectum
- Having diarrhea more than three days
- Blood in the stools, black or tarry stools
- Symptoms of dehydration, including dry skin, light-headedness thirst, dark colored urine, less frequent urination, fatigue, etc.
- Fever of 102 degrees or higher
In most cases, lost fluid needs to be replaced to prevent dehydration. Medicines that stop diarrhea may be useful, but they are not given to a patient whose diarrhea is caused by a parasite or bacterial infection. If you prevent diarrhea before clearing the bacteria or parasite, you will trap the organism in the intestine which will prolong the condition. Instead of this, health care specialists recommend antibiotic medication as a first line treatment.
Flagyl as the first line treatment for diarrhea
Flagyl is one of the medications prepared to treat infections caused by parasites and anaerobic bacteria. It falls into the category of medications known as antibiotics. The medicine is supplied in the form of a tablet and is active against a wide variety of bacterial infections. It is composed of Metronidazole (the active pharmaceutical component of the medicine). Metronidazole exerts its mode of action by attacking bacteria and parasites.
Its dose will vary depending on the condition being treated. The medicine is supplied in the form of a tablet that can be swallowed with water before or after consuming food. Patients must not take alcohol beverage during Flagyl treatment for at least 24 hours following the end of the treatment.
Your health care specialist will work out the amount of Flagyl tablets that is right for you. The dose of the medication will be given on the prescription label. Your condition will start getting better after taking the tablets in 2 to 3 days. For obtaining maximum benefits, it is important that you complete the full course that has been prescribed to you. Do not stop the treatment early without checking with your health care specialist.
Flagyl is normally a safe medication. It is not likely to cause any side effects until you take it exactly as prescribed by your health care specialist.