Men who find difficulty in getting or keeping the hard enough erection generally suffer from Erectile Dysfunction (ED) problem. This problem is also called as impotence, and it is characterized by the inability to develop or maintain penis erection during sexual activity in humans.
The brain sends signals to penis via nerves and then erection caused by sexual arousal. Neurological disorders, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and side effects of some drugs are the factors which lead to ED. Psychological reason is also a reason behind importance, though it is rare but can be cured with the help of psychotherapy.
Various factors can lead to erectile dysfunction issue but the lifestyle is one of the important reasons behind impotence. Unhealthy lifestyle leads to erectile dysfunction. Some other factors which lead to impotence are as followed:
- Side effects of medicines such as nicotine, anti-depressants etc.
- Cavernosal disorders
- Neurogenic disorders
- Psychosocial causes, like anxiety, mental disorders, and stress
- Ageing- this cause is for people above 40 years of age.
- Kidney failure
- Diabetes mellitus and multiple sclerosis (MS) are diseases that cause erectile disorders.
- Sometimes surgical intervention leads to the removal of anatomical structures necessary to erection, impair blood supply or damage nerves.
- Prostate cancer treatment can also lead to impotence.
- Poor obesity, physical health, dietary habits and cardiovascular diseases also cause ED.
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment
According to a disease, there are various treatments are available for treating erectile dysfunction. For different cause, a different erectile dysfunction treatment is followed. Men aged above 40 years can overcome this disease by making a regular exercise practice and following a healthy lifestyle. People, who smoke, should stop or less the smoking habits and they can experience the change in few days.
Some drugs and therapeutic devices also help in the treatment of ED and this is followed by drug injections into the penis. Penile implants are also there to treat impotence. Some methods are described are here below-
- PHOSPHODIESTERASE type 5 inhibitors – It is a drug and helps in giving the complete blood flow to the penis.
- Topical Medication – Vitaros cream is used as the first line for treating erectile dysfunction.
- Injected Medication – ED is also treated by giving the drug injection i.e. papaverine, phentolamine, and prostaglandin E1 drugs.
- Pumps – A vacuum erection device helps to draw the blood into the penis by applying a negative pressure. It is also known as a penis pump and can be used few minutes before sex. There are many FDA approved devices used as the penis pump.
- Penile implants – A penile prosthesis is used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction and it can be done in an outpatient centre.
There are various alternative medicines or natural methods for treating sexual dysfunction disorders. PDE-5 (phosphodiesterase-5) inhibitor is a group of drug that men can take. These pills come in various brands and dosages. The pill can be taken 1 hour before the sexual activity. Some reliable and best-known pills come in:
There are some other natural potential treatments for treating ED and they include, zinc supplements, the herb Ashwagandha