Hectic schedules and pressurized job work timings leave people with no time to enjoy. They party on weekends because they know that they will not get time on weekdays. Having fun at a party with friends or colleagues includes alcohol consumption. People tend to drink way beyond their limit, resulting in a hangover.
Hangover, the term is associated with consumption of alcohol that can affect an individual’s mental, emotional and physical health. It occurs after the person has recovered from intoxicating effects of alcohol. Usually, people suffer from hangovers the morning after they’ve consumed alcohol. Hangover is not a pleasant experience because it disrupts daily tasks and responsibilities of the person such as going to work, or enjoying time with friends and family.
It has been proved in various researches that hangovers can last anywhere between 8 and 24 hours. Basically, a hangover is a sign of showing that a person drank too much, which means that he has consumed alcohol over the specified limit and may be at health risks of damaging the brain. It has also been reported that people who suffer from a greater number of hangovers are know to present with damaged brain structures.
Symptoms of hangover:
Alcohol affects people in different ways and it totally depends on the amount of alcohol consumed by a person, amount of food eaten during consumption and the type of alcohol consumed. Hangover symptoms are unpleasant as they create an overall feeling of poor wellbeing. Below are some of the symptoms of hangover:
- Increased sensitivity to light and sound
- Rapid heartbeat
- Headaches and muscle aches
- Nausea, vomiting or stomach pain
- Decreased ability to concentrate
- Mood disturbances, such as depression, anxiety and irritability
Now, the time has come, it’s the morning after your wildest party. You have got the worst headache of your lifetime and are still feeling yourself performing the crazy dance moves you did on top of the table last night. It means that the dreaded hangover has hit you. So, to overcome the hangover and to survive it, follow the below mentioned guidelines:
Finding immediate relief:
- Drink loads of water – It simply seems ridiculous if you’re hugging your toilet, re-hydrating yourself to overcome a hangover. It’s better to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water slowly
- Go back to sleep – After drinking excessively, you should rest well. So, crawl back into your bed and wrap yourself in the cosiest blanket you own and catch a few more hours of sleep.
Eating soothing food that cures hangover:
- Eat plain and starchy foods – You can try toast and crackers, which are good source of carbohydrates to eat while recovering from hangovers. These snacks make cause your blood sugar levels to drop. So, plain carbs are the best sources to help increase your blood sugar and settle your stomach.
- Eat apples and bananas – These fruits are rich in nutrients and potassium that helps in eliminating your headache and restoring minerals lost during binge drinking.
- You can try eggs – Scrambled, fried, or soft boiled eggs are the perfect cure to a hangover. They contain amino acids called cysteine, which helps in curing counter effects of acetaldehyde, a side effect of excessive alcohol consumption.
- Eat tomatoes and cabbage – These foods are the natural healers of hangovers because tomatoes have the fructose content that can refresh and revitalize you. Fructose helps you in boosting the metabolism of your body to fight against alcohol. Further, cabbage acts as a wonderful healer of the hangover and the extract juice of cabbage along with little tomato juice helps in stabilizing blood glucose levels.
Hangover friendly drinks:
- Gatorade – Drinking sports drinks can help in regaining your sugar levels. Gatorade is an energy sports drink that helps by hydrating your body, and gets you balanced and back to normal.
- Carbonated soda – This drink is another good source of treating hangovers. Carbonated soda helps in relieving an upset stomach and the sugar can help return your blood sugar levels to normal.
Herbal remedies to avoid hangover:
Herbal remedies help in replenishing lost nutrients at the time of drinking.
- Dive into some honey – Honey helps up in gaining your fructose levels, which is lost during binge alcohol drinking. You can try adding honey into boiling water to cure your hangover.
- Try lemon – Lemon is the natural detoxifying agent, which is beneficial for your body. So, you can prepare lemon tea to settle your stomach and start the detoxification process.
Vitamins to combat hangover:
- Take a vitamin B pill – You may prefer vitamin B, mainly B12 called as Cobalamin, which plays a large part in the functioning of the nervous system and brain. Vitamin B acts as a boosting agent for your body, which can help in treating head bursting hangovers.
- Vitamin C pills – It is an antioxidant that helps in fighting against free radicals in your body and generally alleviates headaches.
Other ways to avoid hangover:
- Get some light exercise – If you find trouble in sleeping, try getting a bit of exercise. You can prefer to head on a brisk walk, a light jog, or to swim a few laps. It has been researched that exercise helps your body’s ability to metabolize against alcohol consumption. Moreover, light exercise help boosting your endorphins and in returning to the normal mood.
- Avoid loud noises and bright light – Loud music or noise and bright light can be a pretty annoying during a hangover. To minimize the headache and pain, you should avoid loud music, and to keep yourself cool, keep a cool washcloth on your head. If there is a plan to go outside, wear sun glasses or a hat to avoid bright light because bright light triggers hangovers.
- Take a shower or bath – A warm bath can be a good remedy. It also helps you to relax and feel clean. Additionally, breathe in the steam to alleviate the pain in your head.
- Give yourself a massage – If you don’t find anyone around, try to give yourself a head massage. This will help your body in getting out the toxins and gives you ultimate relief.
Precautions to take for avoiding hangover:
Everyone loves a good round of booze after a long week at work. But to avoid the after effects of the intolerable hangover, below are some of the precautions to be followed:
- Empty stomach – Always keep in mind not to drink alcohol on an empty stomach. Order a few dishes and snacks along with your booze as this would slow down your pace.
- Mixing drinks – The side effects of mixing several drinks at a time may lead to a very miserable morning. So, do not mix your drinks ever because the better the quality of drink, the lesser the after effects of it.
- Drink water – Always drink plenty of water to hydrate your body before the bathroom urges begin and take multivitamins at intervals to compensate vitamin depletion due to frequent urination.
Based on research, “moderate drinking” for men is considered as two drinks a day. So, how about sharing this blog with your friends to learn to sober up the healthy and painless manner!
Get useful health tips and remedies regularly, in your feed.