Doxycycline is a tetracycline antibiotic. The drug fights bacteria in the body. Doxycycline is a drug that treats many bacterial infections such as:
- Urinary Tract Infections (UTI)
- Intestinal Infections
- Eye infections
The drug can also be used for treating blemishes, bumps and acne-like lesions caused by rosacea (skin disease). Other forms of Doxycycline can also be used for preventing malaria or treating infections that are caused by mites, lice or ticks.
What is Doxycycline and how does it work?
Doxycycline 100mg is a tetracycline antibiotic that is being prescribed for the treatment of blemishes, bumps and acne-like lesions caused by rosacea. The drug does not work for treating facial skin redness as caused by rosacea. It comes in both capsules and tablet form. Doxycycline HCL works by stopping the growth of bacteria.
Things to be kept in mind
Make sure you tell your doctor if you have:
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Asthma or sulfite allergy
- History of increased pressure inside the skull
- If you are pregnant, planning to conceive or are breast-feeding
If you are somehow using Doxycycline HCL for the treatment of gonorrhea, then your doctor may test you for having syphilis.
How much to take it?
Consult your doctor or read the prescription label carefully to know about the recommended dosage of the drug.
What is the strength available?
Doxycycline hydrochloride is available in the following strengths on our website:
Who is the manufacturer?
- Doxicip – 100mg is manufactured by Cipla. It is available on our website in the 30 capsule pack.
- Doxrid – 100 mg is manufactured by Ridley company. It is available on our website in thepack of 30, 60 and 90 tablets.
How to take it?
Take doxycycline 100mg tablet or capsule exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all the directions on the prescription label carefully. Avoid taking the drug in larger or smaller amount than recommended. Take the medicine with a full glass of water and drink plenty of liquid while taking the drug.
When to take it?
Take Doxycycline tablet or capsule only after doctor’s recommendation. Timely consumption of medicine is very much important.
For how long should it be taken?
Take the medicine as long as it is recommended to you. Do not stop the consumption of the drug in between the course of the treatment.
What if you forget a dose?
Try to make it your habit that every day you take the medicine at the same time. It will clearly decrease the possibility of missing a dose. In the case if you miss a dose, then don’t mix it with a second dose. Simply skip the first dose and continue with the routine.
What if you overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention the moment you take an overdose of the Doxycycline 100 mg medicine.
What are the side-effects?
Every medication has some side-effects that could range from severe to minor. Consult your doctor immediately if any of the symptoms occur to you:
- Change in the vision
- Diarrhea that is watery or bloody
- Skin rash, numbness, pain, severe tingling, and muscle weakness
- Fever, body ache, swollen glands, and flu-like symptoms
- Chest pain and feeling short of breath
- Confusion, nausea, vomiting, rapid weight gain and swelling
- Skin reactions such as fever, swelling in the face or tongue and burning in your eyes
- Increased pressure inside the skull, severe headache, dizziness and pain behind the eyes
Other common symptoms of Doxycycline 100mg are:
- Skin rash or itching
- Nausea, vomiting and upset stomach
- Vaginal itching and discharge
Always consult your doctor before you start, stop or change the dose of the medication. Drugs that may interact with thedoxycycline medication are cholesterol lowering medicines likecholestyramine or cholestipol, isotretinoin, tretinoin, and antacids.A product containing bismuth subsalicylate such as Pepto-Bismol, the blood thinner like warfarin, multivitamins, and multi-minerals, or penicillin antibiotics (amoxicillin, ampicillin, dicloxacillin).
There could be several other medicines as well that may affect the working of doxycycline. Never start a new drug without taking proper medical advice from your doctor.
Important information to be taken care of:
- Never share the medicine with others, even if they experience the same symptoms.
- Consult your doctor about proper disposal and handling of the drug.
- Children below the age of 8 years must not use this drug as, it may cause permanent yellowing of their teeth.
- Throw away the unused medicine after it expires. Taking damaged doxycycline 100mg may cause damage to the kidneys.