Marijuana is referred to as a greenish-gray mixture of dried, shredded leaves, seeds, stems, and flowers of Cannabis sativa—the hemp plant.It is widely used as amind-altering drug, medical ailment and for religious and spiritual purposes.There are multiple street names of marijuana including hemp, Texas tea and weed, J, Mary Jane, home grown, pot, roach,bhang, and ganja.Regardless of the name, this drug provides hallucinogen effects in the brain that distorts how the mind perceives the world you live.
Marijuana usage and facts:
Marijuana users smoke it by making joints, which are hand-rolled cigarettes. Some users make use of pipes or water pipes called bongs. Moreover, cigars or blunts, are also popular among marijuana smokers. The pivotal active chemical in marijuana is THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), which efficiently works when you inhale the smoke of marijuana. After inhaling it, the THC immediately passes from the lungs into the bloodstream that is then carried to the brain and other organs. This chemical ingredient acts on specific receptors in the brain by forming a chain of cellular reactions that finally lead to euphoria.
One of the shocking marijuana facts is that its smoke is more harmful than tobacco smoke as marijuana smoke contains about 50% to 70% more cancer-causing substances than tobacco smoke1. Moreover, studies have stated in their reportsthat a single joint is enough to damage your lungs as compared to five regular cigarettes smoked one after another. Furthermore, an estimated, 800,000 people are arrested for marijuana in the United States each year, and another marijuana fact include 9% of regular users become clinically addicted to it2.
Within minutes of inhaling marijuana smoke, a person’s heart rate speeds up by 20 to 50 beats per minute and his/her bronchial passages get relax and become enlarged. There are various other harmful effects ofmarijuanathat may blow your mind. These are as mentioned below:
- People who smoke joints for a long run may suffer from bronchitis, an inflammation of the respiratory tract.
- Smoking marijuana for a longterm may change the structure of sperm cells. Thus, even smaller quantity of marijuana usage may cause temporary sterility in men.
- Marijuana can also upset a woman’s menstrual cycle.
- Smoking marijuana also affects the mental health of a person. The THC ingredient in cannabis derangesnerve cells in the brain affecting memory.
- Researchers have shown in their studies that marijuana’s effects can last for days or weeks.It affects a student’sperformance in studies,and there is more likely chance of getting drop out of high school as compared to the students who don’t smoke marijuana3.
- Over the years, marijuana user’s children have been born with reduced abilities to concentrate and pursue life goals. Studies have suggested that prenatal (before birth)use of marijuana may result in birth defectsand an increased risk of leukemia in children.
Marijuana medicinal uses:
Many questions arise when it comes to the use of marijuana, as it possesses multiple of harmful effects. But you may be surprised to know that from ancient times it has been prescribed by the doctors. Even in today’s world of advancement,doctors still prescribe medicinal cannabis as a treatment for various issues including sleeping and eating disorders related to medical treatments like chemotherapy. There is a list of ailments that can be treated with medical marijuana. These include the following:
- Pain due to headaches, cancer, or glaucoma or nerve pain
- Seizure disorders
- Nausea from cancer chemotherapy
- Poor appetite along with weight loss caused by chronic illness, like HIV or nerve pain
Your doctor will only prescribe medical marijuana if you are living in a state where it is legal. He/she will provide you a “marijuana card” through which you can buy marijuana from a dispensary.Moreover, there are certain marijuana effectsthat usually don’t last long. These include dizziness, drowsiness, short-term memory loss, and euphoria.
Apart from the above-mentioned marijuana effects, there are serious side effects that may include severe anxiety and psychosis.Furthermore, there are various risks and limits that are associated with marijuana. People who have marijuana card from a doctor can only purchase medical marijuana. Moreover, doctors will not prescribe medical marijuana to anyone who is minor, people with heart disease or pregnant women.
Stop taking marijuana otherwise you may end up your life on a bitter note. There is no escape to the challenges of life so don’t be a coward by indulging yourself in marijuana like activities. Take your life as it comes and keep yourself safe.