Crestor is a Hypolipidemic drug that belongs to the class of medications known as Statins and HMG-CoA inhibitors. Crestor is a generic drug rosuvastatin and is an ideal drug for lowering of cholesterol and thus preventing heart attack. Crestor is the fifth highest selling medicine in U.S.A.
Cardiovascular disease is the most widespread health problem causing mortality. Cardiovascular problems arise due to an increase in cholesterol levels or Dyslipidemia.
Typically, there is an increase in bad cholesterol levels, i.e., LDL (Low density lipoprotein) and decrease in good cholesterol HDL (High density lipoprotein) levels along with high triglyceride levels. This all leads to plaque formation as there is an excessive accumulation of fat in arteries that hinders the normal blood flow and causes cardiovascular problems.
How high cholesterol levels causes heart attack?
Heart attack is a very deadly disease that affects lives of people all over the world. The major reason behind heart attack is high levels of bad cholesterol. Heart attack is a kind of an acute, sudden and critical condition that arises due to the building up of plaque like structures in arteries carrying blood. Increased LDL levels and decreased HDL levels causes deposition of fat rich plaques in the arteries. All this leads to clot formation that decreases the blood and oxygen supply to the heart and results in a heart attack.
How does Crestor work?
Crestor is widely accepted as it has shown excellent patient compliance. This drug is also given post heart attack as it prevents future clogging of the heart. Hypolipidemic drugs like Crestor really helps to lower the bad cholesterol levels in the body and increases the HDL levels.Crestor 20mg works by following two mechanisms:
- The cholesterol production by the liver is reduced as Crestor inhibits the enzymes necessary for the working of liver
- Crestor also increases the uptake and metabolism of the cholesterol already present in the blood
Who cannot take this drug?
This drug might not be suitable for all people. Hence you should tell your doctor about any medical conditions you might have gone through or are going so that the doctor may decide whether to give this drug to you or not. Pregnant or nursing women, people over the age of 70 years, people who have galactose intolerance or those having or have had very high blood pressure are not advised to take this drug. People having diabetes, kidney problems or hyperthyroidism should not take this drug.
Even during the course of using the drug, it may become unsuitable for some; in such a case one should immediately inform the prescriber of the drug as soon as possible.
General information about your medicine:
- Crestor comes in various preparations like 5mg, 10mg, 20mg and 40 mg etc.
- The lowest and most recommended dose is 5 mg and the maximum is 40 mg.
- Crestor 10 mg can be taken at any time of the day, with or without food.
- Crestor controls the hypertension but it doesn’t treat the root cause.
- Take the list of all the drugs that are needed to be avoided while using Crestor.
- One should avoid taking alcohol completely while using Crestor.