Common cold is the problem that we frequently face 3 to 4 times in a year. The common cold often causes a nasal congestion, runny nose and sneezing among other inconveniences.
Common cold is a viral disease of upper respiratory tract. It is a non-serious problem and usually get better in 3-4 days so no need to visit the doctor. Common cold is a viral disease of the upper respiratory tract. The common cold is the group of symptoms in the upper respiratory tract that is caused by a number of different viruses. Though more than 200 viruses may cause the common cold, but the rhinovirus is primary causative agent causing 10% to 40% of colds.The name of Coronaviruses comes next to cause almost 20% of colds.The respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) causes 10% of colds.
Common cold symptoms
The symptom may begin from 15 hours of exposure to the virus. The following are the common symptoms of cold:
- A runny nose
- Nasal congestion
- Sore throat
- Muscle ache
- Loss of appetite
Also Read: What all you must know about Asthma
Home remedies for the common cold
- Since the cold is a non-serious problem so no need to visit the doctor until you have serious symptoms like Bronchitis, Ear infection, Pneumonia, Sinusitis.You can get the fastest way to get rid of a cold by opting the best cold remedy.Few very effective home remedy are listed below.
- Consume hot liquids like herbal tea, soup etc.It helps to break up your congestion, soothes the inflamed membrane and keeps the throat moist.
- Drinking juice or water helps in preventing dehydration.
- Blow your nose frequently by keeping your fingers over nostrils while you blow smoothly to clear the other.If you blow hard pressure can bring germ-carrying phlegm back into ear passages causing earache.
- Inhale the steam to ease your stuffy nose and congestion.You can use the humidifier for this purpose, or you can get steam by holding your head over a pot of boiling water. Do it carefully and don’t let your nostrils burn.
- Use saline spray to irrigate your nose. Saline spray helps in breaking nasal congestion as well as removing the virus particles.
- When you come down the cold, stay warm and rested, as it assists your body to direct its energy toward the immune combat.
- Gargle with warm water as it moisten the sore or irritating throat and bring relief.For this, you can take half teaspoon of salt dissolved in near about 250 ml of warm water. Repeat this four times in a day.To reduce the irritation in your throat, you can try the astringent gargle of tea. Viscous gargle made with honey, famous in folk medicine is another good option. To prepare this gargle fluid take lemon juice in two cups of hot water and mix with one teaspoon of honey. Let it cool on room temperature before gargling.
- Take a steamy shower as it moisturizes nasal passages and relaxes your body.
- Cut ginger into julians then add salt to it. Chew on these ginger julians to fight cough, cold, and sore throat.
- Boil water with black pepper, add jaggery and cumin to it. It will give relief from chest congestion.
Immune system plays a significant role to fight with germ.Take healthy food to boost your immunity.Keep the surrounding clean to avoid the germ.Dont take any medication in common cold until your physician does not recommend you.Seek advice from your doctor immediately if it lasts more than 10 days.Take proper rest to recover sooner.
Also Read: Remedies to Improve Nasal Congestion