Eyes are the most sensitive part of the body. It is an important sensory organ, that makes all the difference between a colorful and black world. About 80% of what we perceive comes through the sense of sight. The human eye can see things and surroundings in bright or dim light but it cannot see anything in darkness. Eye care becomes all the more essential to enjoy vision. One must wear darkly tinted sunglasses while going out on a sunny day as UV rays can harm the eye. Young children are always told to maintain some distance between themselves and the television, which is really essential because lack of proper eye care may result in blurred vision and blindness. There are a lot of eye problems or diseases one can get. Some of the eye diseases are:
- Eye herpes
- CMV retinitis
- Low vision
- Macular degeneration
Some of the eye conditions are:
- Bell’s palsy
- Color Blindness
- Eye Twitching
These are several types of eye diseases that a person can suffer from. But remember, eye diseases cannot be prevented but they can be treated. Taking care of your eyes reduces the risk of getting blind or loosing vision in the future. One can avoid the odds of developing diseases like Glaucoma and Cataract by proper eye care.
Glaucoma is basically an eye disease which causes damage to the optic nerves. It is caused when intraocular pressure builds up inside an eye. Optic nerves are important to transport images to the brain. If the optic nerve continues to get damaged due to high pressure, it can result in blindness. In that case, treatment is needed to reduce risk of permanent loss of vision. In most of the cases, a person may not find any symptom for optic nerve damage. But there are some warning signs that requires immediate medical assistance:
- Difficulty to see near or far objects
- Doubled vision
- Swelling in lids and colour changes to red
- Change in color of iris
- Itchy and burning feeling in eye
- Teary or watery eyes
The warning signals does not assure of getting glaucoma disease. But if a person faces loss of vision in one eye, flash of black spots or hazy and blurred vision daily then he must consult an eye doctor for complete examination of an eye. There are two types of glaucoma:
- Open angle glaucoma – This is also called wide angle glaucoma and it is very common type. In open angle the structure of an eye is normal but the problem occurs in fluid as it does not flow properly.
- Angle closure glaucoma – This type is also called acute or chronic or narrow angle closure glaucoma. In angle closure glaucoma, sudden pressure builds up in the eyes. This type of glaucoma is least common. The angle between the iris and cornea is narrow, and that is why the drainage becomes poor. you can treat your glaucoma using bimatoprost as active minerals, or careprost is best medications for treatment of glaucoma
So, proper eye care is needed and one must diagnose and treat it before it becomes a big problem. Common eye problems occurring in people above 65 years of age is Cataract.
Cataract is an eye condition referring to the clouding of eye lens. The light rays travel into an eye through the pupil when we look at objects. Cataract takes place when the lens becomes cloudy as it is unable to focus light on the retina. When vision becomes blurry, it is an indication of cataract in one or both eyes. At first, a person may not know about the problem but gradually vision becomes an obstruction in day to day activities. The problem of cataract is the leading cause of loss of vision around the world. 22 million Americans in the age group of 40 or above are affected by cataract. According to the National Eye Institute, more than half of Americans crossing 80 years becomes a victim of cataract. Any kind of eye injuries, medicines or diabetes may also cause cataract. Some common myths persists among people regarding cause and treatment of cataract.
- Eye drops can dissolve cataract – According to the Food and Drug administration, it is not certain that drops can cure or prevent cataracts. Cataract is a natural problem and there are no drops that can completely remove it.
- Cataract surgery takes long time to recover – Cataract surgery is one of the most common and popular surgeries that has a success rate of about 95%. There is always some risk associated with any type of surgery, a surgeon could tell you better. One can get back to normal day to day activities after the eye patch is removed. Some patients recover within weeks whereas some take a little longer time. The surgery is dangerous and may take months.
- Cataract grows back – Cataracts do not grow after surgery. There is possibility that it may develop in the other eye. When the membranes holding new lens implant becomes cloudy, vision gets compromised. It can be treated with laser surgery of just 15 minutes.
- Cataracts are reversible – Many people think that cataracts are reversible. But the fact is that lens becomes cloudy with age. It is a natural process which cannot be changed. One may get cataract when he becomes old. Its further progress can be stopped by quitting smoking and having a healthy and balanced diet. One can also wear sunglasses while going out to get protection from UVA and UVB rays.
Let us have a look at some signs and symptoms of cataract. Having a blurred or dim vision is the most common symptom of cataract. Some other symptoms include:
- Difficulty to see during night or under low light conditions
- Double vision in one eye
- Faded or yellow colouring on the eye
- Seeing halos around lights
If you have any of the symptoms, it is necessary to consult a doctor immediately. The doctor will give a diagnose, followed by several tests. Using a device called the ophthalmoscope, the eye is examined to know about the signs of cataract. Once after diagnosis, the best method to treat cataract is surgery. In cataract surgery, the clouded lens is removed and replaced with an artificial lens. The surgery would not require hospitalisation as it is done on outpatient basis. The surgery guarantees 95% success and patient would get relief within weeks. you can control your cataract by using same medications, cate
Eye is an important part of the body. Having the perfect vision becomes all the more essential because a person may need it to look for objects that are at distance. Glaucoma and cataract cannot be prevented but they can be treated. Surgery is the best option to treat cataract. Also, there are certain eye drops and creams you can use to remove irritation in the eyes.
If you know anyone’s who’s suffering from eye-related illness, please share this blog with them. You can also use the comment boxes in case of any health related queries.