Azelaic acid gel is a topical medication that is used to clear the bumps, lesions or swelling caused by the skin disease named rosacea.
- Treats acne
- Clear bumps, lesion or swelling
- Reduce pimple and blackhead formation
What is Azelaic acid and how does it work?
Azelaic Acid Gel is one of the naturally occurring acid. It is a topical medication which helps to clear off or reduce pimple and blackhead formation. It works on acne too. It belongs to the class of medications called dicarboxylic acids. It works in treating acne by killing the bacteria that could infect the pores and by decreasing the production of keratin (the natural substance leading to the formation of acne).
Things to be kept in mind
Before taking Azelaic Acid Gel tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to azelaic acid or any other drug
- What prescription, nonprescription, herbal, vitamins or supplements you take
- If ever had any medical condition
- If you are pregnant, planning to conceive or are breastfeeding
- If you experience any changes in the skin color
How much to apply it?
- Adult dose for acne- Apply about 20% azelaic acid cream to the affected part two times a day.
- Adult dose for acne rosacea- Apply 15% azelaic acid gel to the affected part two times everyday.
What are the strengths available?
Azelaic Acid Gel is available in the following strengths on our website:
Who is the manufacturer?
- Aziderm Cream – 10 % (15gm) and Aziderm Cream – 20 % (15gm) are manufactured by Vision (Micro). They are available on our website in the pack of 1,3 and 6 tubes.
- Finacea Gel – 1% (30gm) is manufactured by Intendis and is available on our website.
For how long it should be applied?
Even if the results gets positive, one should use it as long as recommended by the doctor.
What if you forget a dose?
Do not forget your dose. In case if you forget a dose, then avoid taking it at the time of the second dose. Never take a double dose to make up for the one that is missed.
What if you overdose?
Immediately consult your dermatologist the moment you realize that extra quantity of Azelaic Acid Cream has been applied to the skin.
What are the side-effects?
Every medication has some side effects which could range from severe to mild. Given below are the following symptoms which are likely to occur:
- Itching, burning or tingling sensation
- Change in the skin color
- Peeling, irritation or inflammation of the skin
There are some medications that may interact with azelaic acid cream. So it is better that one should share his whole medical history with the doctor. Make sure you check with your health care provider before starting or changing any dose of the medication.
Important information to be taken care of:
- It may take few weeks for azelaic acid cream or gel to work and if the symptoms do not get fine within the span of four weeks then consult with the nearest doctor
- Do not use topical products too frequently as it may make the condition worse.
- Keep it away from the reach of small children below the age of 12 years.
- Never take an azelaic acid gel into the mouth as it can cause severe harm to the body.
- Always talk with your doctor before you use any of the medicines or cleansers on the skin.