A wide variety of pharmaceutical research is directed at formulating agents for herpes virus. Most of these efforts have focused on developing a novel drug delivery system for treating herpes infections. Among the pharmaceutical agents developed for treating and preventing the herpes viruses, Acyclovir is a promising drug to control the infection. It has been formulated in the form of oral disintegrating tablets to facilitate the ease of medication.
Acyclovir 400mg is an antiviral medication, which is active against herpes simplex viruses type I and type II, and varicella-zoster virus. Further work has confirmed the value of this antiviral drug in the prevention and treatment of severe and life-threatening infections. The antiviral medication does not cure herpes and infections can return at a later time.
Uses of Acyclovir
Acyclovir is an antiviral medication that has approved by the Food and Drug Administration to treat viral infections from the varicella viruses that are responsible for causing shingles, and chickenpox, as well as infections from the virus that contributes to genital herpes. It is useful in preventing viruses from diving and multiplying. The medicine is clinically approved in different formulations and strengths for use in specific populations. This involves people who are immunocompromised or have a weak immune system.
Herpes simplex virus and Varicella zoster virus infection are opportunistic infections of Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). The opportunistic infections are those that develop more frequently in patients with the weak immune system as compared to those with the healthy immune system. The antiviral medication is also useful in treating and preventing varicella-zoster virus in HIV patients.
Important information about Acyclovir
An individual taking Acyclovir must let his/her health care specialist know about the following:
- If you are allergic to the antiviral medication or other substances of the medication.
- About any medical conditions, you are currently suffering from or had in the past. These medical conditions include hepatic impairment or diabetes mellitus.
- About anything (daily activities) that can affect your ability to take the antiviral drug such as trouble swallowing, tablets problem remembering to take doses on time, or any other health condition that prevents you from oral administration.
- Women must tell about their pregnancy, however, the medicine its still not known whether it can harm an unborn baby or not. Women must take Acyclovir only when the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the unborn baby. It is important to discuss the possible risks associated with the intake of this antiviral medication during pregnancy.
- A nursing mother should inform her health care provider about breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is not allowed if the woman is infected with the HIV.
- About other medications that you are currently taking or planning to take. These medications include vitamins, herbal products, nutritional supplements etc. This is necessary because any of these medications can affect the way your antiviral medication works and delays the improvement. Discuss with your healthcare provider about drug interactions between Acyclovir and other medicines.
Latest posts by Marie (see all)
- Vardenafil HCL Tablets 20 Mg How Long Does It Last - July 18, 2018
- Kamagra Oral Jelly Buy Online - July 17, 2018
- Vardenafil Tablets 20 mg Uses, Dosage, Price and Side Effects - July 13, 2018